This spring salad can be modified to suit whatever you have in the fridge or whatever other season it might be. You can swap out blueberries for strawberries, diced mango or kiwi, or stick stick to more veg and use grape tomatoes and any other salad topper you like. Just don't skimp on the salty feta or goat cheese and something else for crunch, like a seed or nut. A good salad is ALL ABOUT balance in flavour and texture.
A Mason Jar (or any other jar/container with a tight fitting lid) is the perfect vessel for a homemade salad dressing, which is simply 1 part acid + 2 parts oil + a real good pinch of salt. Easy, essential and delicious, while keeping in your fridge for a good 3 weeks.
- 6 cups baby arugula pre-washed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries or sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 3 tbsp raw hulled hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green or brown lentils not red
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pit removed, diced
- 1/2 cup Mason Jar Vinaigrette approx. (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves torn (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta or Goat cheese optional
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice about 1 ½ lemons OR Apple Cider Vinegar (or 50/50 of each)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove smashed
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup or honey optional
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs optional
In a large mixing bowl add arugula, berries, cucumber, hemp seeds and lentils. Drizzle with most of vinaigrette and toss, lightly coating salad. If desired add remaining vinaigrette and toss again.
2.) Transfer salad to serving dish or plates. Top with basil and feta, if using, plus any additional add-ons, if desired.
NOTE: Keep salad and vinaigrette separate when transporting to work, school or on a picnic, then toss together before eating.
Salad substitutions/additions to make it your own:
• Sub in grape tomatoes for berries • Add crumbled goat/feta cheese • Add hard-boiled egg • Add roasted red pepper slices • Add marinated chopped artichokes • Add grated carrot • Add cooked chicken or fish/salmon • Add any cooked whole grain • Sub in mixed greens or baby kale for arugula • Sub in sunflower or pumpkin seeds for hemp