Classic flavours with out a few classic ingredients. This vegan approved salad dressing is an award winning recipe (seriously!) and it’s my go-to Caesar dressing even when I’m craving the real deal. Oh, and real bacon bits are allowed here...unless you'd prefer to keep it completely vegan, of course.
- 3/4 cup Organic medium-firm or soft tofu (avoid firm/extra firm)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Juice of one lemon, approx.
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp yellow or white miso paste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce (vegan version available)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Toss enough to coat prepared lettuce. Top with Parmesan,, plus croutons or crunchy chickpeas and/or chopped cooked bacon, if you like.
Refrigerate leftover dressing in tightly sealed jar or container. Will keep for 2 weeks.
Makes 1 cup dressing. One regular head of Romaine lettuce (washed, dried and torn) will serve 6 people as a side salad.
Crunchy Chickpeas can be a gluten-free alternative to croutons. Find the recipe under Shakes and Snacky Stuff.
This recipe was given a Golden Whisk Award by Toronto Star in 2009, after being created for Toronto Food Share's Good Food Cafe; a project Kate was actively involved in, feeding elementary school children a wholesome lunch each and every day 🙂