Apple Cider Braised Turkey Drums
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 (2-pound) turkey drumsticks
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 2 large)
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 reg cooking onions)
- 1L (4 cups) apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or turkey stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Hot sauce and lemon, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a very large deep skillet, or Dutch oven, heat the oil to medium-high. Season drumsticks all over with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet (in batches of 2 if necessary) and cook until browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the drumsticks to a platter.
- Add celery, carrot, onion and a pinch each of salt and pepper to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until the onion is starting to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes. Add the cider, stock, bay leaves and thyme and bring to a boil. If using a large Dutch oven add the drumsticks and any extra juices, then cover with lid. Otherwise pour the whole mixture, with drums, into a large roasting pan and cover tightly with foil. Braise in the oven for 1 hour. Uncover and return to overn for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then remove drums and using a fork pull the turkey meat off the bone, discard skin, and transfer to a plate.
- Using a large spoon gently drag the back of it across the top of the remaining liquid to remove some of the fat. Bring to a boil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, until reduced to about 4 cups. Season this cider 'jus' with salt and pepper, if necessary, and add the turkey pieces back in.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley and squeeze of lemon. Serve over mashed potato or cauliflower, roasted butternut squash, or cooked egg noodles.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 120 Minutes
- Course : Dinner
Katie Compton Chemij, BHSc, RHN
Holistic Nutritionist and Natural Foods Chef
USANA Health Sciences Distributor
Phone : 416.629.5269
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org