Cowboy Caviar (Bean and Corn Salsa)
Inspired by a 'fancy' southern recipe for bean and corn salsa, this quick and easy snack-that-eats-like-a meal can be prepared using many swap-in options. Use fresh tomatoes when in season and fresh corn cut right of the cob. If you can't find black-eyed peas buy black beans. Gluten-free and grain-less (if you don't use chips to scoop!) serve this crowd-pleaser at your next party!
- 19oz can black beans or black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn niblets fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or green onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red yellow or orange bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp pickled jalapenos drained and finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice about 2 limes
- 1 ripe avocado chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro optional
- 2 small cloves fresh garlic smashed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup good olive oil
Combine all salsa ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Shake dressing ingredients very well in glass jar with tight fitting lid until emulsified. Pour enough dressing over salsa to lightly coat mixture but not leaving too much settling at bottom of bowl. Extra dressing can be used for another salad or drizzle for rice bowl 😊
Salsa is best left to marinate for 2-4 hours at room temperature before eating. Can refrigerate if not serving right away, but best to serve at room temperature. NOTE: if using avocado, best to add right before serving to avoid browning.
Makes about 6 cups
This recipe is VERY versatile. Serve as is with organic corn chips or as one of these options:
Toss with cooked quinoa for a filling lunch salad
Stuff into a burrito or quesadilla with cheese
Use as a topping for tacos or fajitas
Serve as a side dish for any weeknight meal
Use as a topping for grilled or baked fish
Stuff into half a ripe avocado and top with a fried egg for breakfast
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.