Pesto Grilled Tofu with Quinoa Asparagus Pilaf
- 2 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Organic quinoa
- 1/2 lb firm Organic tofu cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- 1/4 prepared basil pesto divided
- 1/2 lb asparagus cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup toasted cashews
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion 1 minute. Add sun-dried tomatoes and sauté 1 minute. Add vegetable stock, lemon juice, black pepper and quinoa . Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add asparagus, cover again, continue cooking quinoa and asparagus for 5 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush both sides of tofu with pesto; grill or broil, 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and cut into bite-sized chunks. Set aside.
Add lemon zest to quinoa and fluff with a fork. Stir together remaining pesto and lemon juice. Serve tofu chunks on top of quinoa, drizzled with pesto mixture and topped with chopped cashews.
Substitute broccoli florets or halved green beans for asparagus, if you like.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.