Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
Rhubarb season in the spring is short. You may get a pie, a crisp and maybe a jam or compote out of it and that’s it. So, if you’re a tart-fruit kinda gal (or guy) then try this recipe and just indulge until it’s gone. Rhubarb needs sugar, so this isn’t one of those “healthy desserts’, but it feeds the soul and it’s just necessary that one time of year.
- 6 cups 1/2-inch slices rhubarb (about 2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups halved strawberries
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1 orange zest and juice separated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp cold butter cut into small pieces
- 2 cups Plain Greek yogurt
- Honey or maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare filling, combine the first 6 ingredients, including orange zest (not juice). Spoon into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
To prepare topping, combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.
While the crisp is baking mix together plain yogurt with 2 Tbsp orange juice and a drizzle of honey. Chill until ready to serve. Serve a scoop of warm crisp with about ¼ cup yogurt mixture.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.