Originally Swiss Bircher Muesli was made with raw oats soaked in water or juice with dried or fresh fruit and nuts added just before serving. This modified recipe is completely versatile, depending on your taste for different fruits, nuts and seeds. A heart-smart breakfast to fuel your day!
- 1 cup whole milk or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice or juice from whole orange
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 apple grated
- 1 Tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp ground flax or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dried figs raisins or apricots*
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Mix everything in a container with a fitted lid. Place in the fridge overnight to soften. Scoop out and enjoy for breakfast or divide into smaller containers, grab a spoon and take with you to work!
A larger batch can be made and kept in the fridge for up to 2 more days.
*If you prefer to add more protein and cut down on sugar, omit the apple and dried fruit and add a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
Cheesecake Variation: Replace 1/2 yogurt with full-fat cottage cheese and add 1 tsp pure vanilla extract