Pureed soups can easily pack in a real punch of nutrition. This flavorful soup hits you with mild curry and creamy sweet coconut. It’s comfort food and a big warm hug.
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potato, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 apple (on the sweeter side) peeled and diced*
- 2 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups or 1 900mL carton low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, ginger and sweet potato. Saute 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Add in apple, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and cinnamon; saute another 5 minutes.
Add in red lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
Puree soup with a hand held blender (or in batches with stand up blender) until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Return soup to pot, add coconut milk and heat on low until ready to serve.
I’ve used ½ cup apple cider in place of apple, so if you have some go for it!