PB & L Power Balls
These protein packed balls have lentils in them...and they're delicious. These can be a choose-your-own-adventure recipe, depending on what's in the pantry or what mood you're in. I recommend adding mini chocolate chips since we're working with peanut butter here 🙂
- 1 cup cooked lentils, drained and rinsed if canned
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp hemp or chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon or other spice of choice (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut optional
- 1/3 cup chopped dates raisins or mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
Mash lentils with fork in a large bowl. Stir in peanut butter, salt, honey, oats, seeds, cinnamon, coconut and dates, if using, until well combined. Scoop out mixture using a tablespoon (or 1-inch scoop) and roll into balls.
Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Option: freeze balls on a tray until frozen, then store in a sealed container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, allow balls to thaw for at least 10 minutes.
*replace honey with 1 small very ripe mashed banana for a lower sugar option
- Roll balls in coconut (instead of stirring in) before refrigerating.
- Press mixture into square pan. Refrigerate and cut into bars.
- Use any other nut or seed butter (including tahini) and any dried fruit or nut/seed as add-ins, OR omit all add-ins and simply stir together lentils, peanut butter, honey and oats to make quick power balls.
- Replace 2 Tbsp nut butter with coconut oil
- Make PB & J balls: Scoop out mixture and press into flat disk. Add a small spoonful of jam or jelly into centre (not too much!); fold up sides and roll into a ball so that filling is intact and not squeezing out.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.