Turkey and Sweet Potato Chilli
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lb. Organic ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 oz pkg Cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled & diced (about 2 small)
- 2 tbsp. mild chili powder
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 finely chopped chipotle peppers (canned in Adobo sauce)
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 19 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained very well (any bean will do here as well)
- Small can maple baked beans look for Organic variety, without glucose-fructose
- 2 cups veggie or chicken broth or water
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce or Balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium each green and red pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- Optional Toppings: Plain yogurt, chopped green onions, lime juice, chopped avocado, fresh chopped cilantro.
Heat oil in a large stew pot or Dutch oven and sauté ground turkey, onion and garlic for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté another 3-4 minutes.
Add in spices: Chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chipotle peppers, and salt. Cook 1 minute. Add in diced sweet potato. Stir to coat turkey and sweet potato mixture with spices. Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans, baked beans, broth, Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 30 minutes, covered partially with a lid.
Add in bell peppers and zucchini. Allow chilli to continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes. Turn heat to low until ready to serve.
Serve chilli in bowls and top with any (or all!) desired toppings.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.