Easy Spring Frittata
A frittata is simply a baked omelet, accented with any ingredients you either have on hand or just love! Don't over complicate this recipe and eat it anytime, for any meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mixed mushrooms cremini, oyster, shiitake, etc., sliced or torn
- 1 cup chopped leeks green and white part or 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp small yellow potato grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 10 tbsp large eggs*
- 1/4 cup full-fat or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheese divided
- tbsp Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or basil optional
Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to broil.
Heat oil in 8-inch non-stick, or well-seasoned cast-iron, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add leeks and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, liquid has evaporated and mushrooms browning, 5-6 minutes. Add grated potato and season with good pinch salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, yogurt, 1/2 cup cheese, a good pinch each salt and pepper and herbs, if using, in bowl or large measuring cup.
Pour egg mixture into skillet, shaking the pan to evenly distribute among veggies. Using a spatula, gently move egg mixture around pan, then let mixture cook, without stirring, until its edges begin to set, about 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Broil frittata until golden brown and center is set, about 3-4 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
*If you have extra-large eggs go with 8, but if you have less than 10 large eggs 8 or 9 will also work. Don’t go out to buy more eggs if you only have 8! Frittata may just need 1 less minute to broil with less eggs. Do not fuss over this simple dish 😊.
So many options!
Substitute other vegetables (or none at all) in place of mushrooms and leeks:
• asparagus or broccoli (cut in 1-inch pieces) with sliced green onion or shallot
• omit onion altogether and add another veg, such as chopped red bell pepper or zucchini
• omit all veg, keep garlic, serve frittata with a BIG green leafy salad on the side
• feel free to add a little crumbled bacon or turkey sausage to the pan, before cooking veg
• double (or triple) amount of fresh herbs and use creamy goat cheese
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.