Kale, Lentil and Sausage Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large stalk celery diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 medium parsnips peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 4 cups low-sodium Organic chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Organic white or yellow miso paste*
- 4 cups fresh chopped kale stem removal optional
- 2 cooked Organic pork or turkey sausages**
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce optional
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, parsnip and garlic. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until starting to lightly brown, stirring often.
Meanwhile cover lentils with water in a bowl, leaving 1 inch of water on top, and discard any that float to the very top. Drain, rinse and set aside.
Add cumin and paprika to onion mixture. Stir and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add drained lentils, broth, water and miso paste. Bring to a light boil and stir to make sure miso has dissolved.
Add kale, submerging it completely in soup, stir and partially cover with a lid. Reduce heat to med-low and allow soup to simmer for at least 30 minutes and ideally up to 1 hour.
A few minutes before serving add in slices of cooked sausage, or use as a garnish on top. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Offer hot sauce for serving, if you like.
*Look for Organic miso paste in your local grocery store (where the tofu is) or health food market.
**To cook sausages: fry in a cast-iron skillet until firm and cooked through, or grill. Allow to cool before slicing.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.