Shakshuka with Roasted Red Peppers
Eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. Don’t just think breakfast, think anytime. This. Is. So. Good.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp harissa or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Feta Cheese optional
- Baguette slices toasted with butter or olive oil (optional)
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in harissa, cumin, tomato paste and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add peppers, tomatoes and salt to pan. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon, create 6 divots in sauce mixture and carefully crack eggs, one at a time, into each divot. Cover and simmer 7-10 minutes, or until eggs are set but yolk still runny.
Sprinkle top with mint or parsley and few dollops of yogurt or some crumbled feta, if you like. Serve immediately with toasted baguette for dunking into sauce.
Hi, I'm Katie!
I am a nutritionist, chef, mom to two little ones, and a lover of food!
I hope you enjoy my recipes and food blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.